I do a lot of mapping in Alaska and the quality of the Tiger roads in rural
Alaska is simply horrendous. For some of the small communities I've worked
on the Tiger ways are so far out of position I simply delete them and start
fresh. There is no way to know where they should actually be. The main
reason to keep them and why I sometimes make a guess about their positions
is to preserve the street names. I'm never going to be able to visit these
tiny communities because they are remote and exceedingly difficult to
reach. Nobody can ever drive to them, there will probably never be any
OSMers living in a town like Alakanuk, for example, nor is any resident
likely to use the OSM data but it looks exceedingly bad to leave those ways
as they are. So I often try to fix them. It's a tedious job at best. Along
with that, there are the ugly coastlines to fix everywhere as well. Take a
look at Alakanuk here (62.684314, -164.652965) to get an idea of what
Alaska OSM mappers are up against.

Anyway, my point is that most Tiger data I've encountered is so bad I wish
it wasn't there at all. I would rather sketch in the roads (roads that I
and 99.9999% of data consumers will never see or use), and toss the Tiger
data completely. In my example town, I can make a reasonable guess about
the position of the roads but it's a ton of work, especially when you
realize that _all_ of Alaska's rural towns have data like this or, more
often, worse.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Brian May <b...@mapwise.com> wrote:

> [...]
> actually exists, which IMO is more likely to bite someone in the ass than
> having a localized network of roads that are mislabeled. I know it would
> make some of the exploring I've done via on/off-road motorcycle more
> difficult.
>
> I'd also suggest that leaving tiger:reviewed at no is appropriate if you
> haven't been able to travel the road/track in question and determine
> whether it is really an unclassified road or a track, so it remains flagged
> for further review if someone has the time and proximity to do so.
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:
>
>> I am very happy to see this rekindled interest in TIGER cleanup!
>>
>> Having done a fair amount of backcountry exploring, I know that there is
>> a wide range of road grades and aerial imagery alone is not enough to
>> decide how navigable a roads is for a particular type of vehicle. Or, for
>> that matter, what its access limitations are. I do agree with Clifford that
>> leaving them as poorly aligned 'residential' roads is the worst possible
>> situation. Yes, worse than deleting the road altogether. What I usually do
>> is mark the road as track without a track grade tag. This seems to me to be
>> the most acceptable generic solution for a remote mapper: acknowledging
>> that something that could potentially be navigated by a 4 wheeled vehicle
>> exists, without being more specific. Local knowledge can then come to the
>> rescue to upgrade to unclassified if appropriate.
>>
>> Another note on the MapRoulette side of things: I would very much
>> appreciate your feedback on the new MapRoulette version Clifford linked to.
>> Just email me, join #maproulette on slack, or file an issue at
>> https://github.com/maproulette/maproulette3/issues.
>>
>> Martijn
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com
>> > wrote:

>>> Yes, yes, yes.
>>>
>>> In the rural areas that I can travel to readily, TIGER is downright
>>> hallucinatory (and there are few enough mappers that cleanup has been
>>> agonizingly slow). TIGER has roads in places where no road is, ever was, or
>>> even ever could be. (I've seen one going up a series of cliffs totalling
>>> about 2000 feet of ascent!) But even in 'leaves down' images, it's nearly
>>> impossible to see the forest roads, much less trace them, and there is
>>> definitely a wide variation in quality. Some of them are well-compacted
>>> sand and shale, that once they've been rolled in the spring, support
>>> driving at 30+ MPH. Others, I wouldn't bring my Subaru on. (Although I've
>>> been on a few of those in the ancient Ford Explorrer that the Subaru
>>> replaced.)  Some are gated, some, you simply have to decide for yourself
>>> that they're not drivable.
>>>
>>> The 'dirt roads' range from 'highway=path abandoned:highway=track
>>> smoothness=impassable' to 'highway=tertiary surface=compacted
>>> smoothness=intermediate', with no way for an armchair mapper to tell among
>>> them.
>>>
>>> The old road maps that they used to give out at gas stations had, on
>>> many of these roads, "inquire locally for conditions," which is still good
>>> advice. The signage may say, "LIMITED PURPOSE SEASONAL-USE ROAD: No
>>> maintenance November 1-April 15" - but in practice, they'll keep it open
>>> later in the Autumn unless the snow comes early, and when they open it in
>>> the spring depends on when the crews can get it clear - it could be weeks
>>> late if there's been a bad washout or rock slide. There's absolutely no way
>>> to tag and encode that sort of thing. Inquire locally for conditions.

> --
> Kevin Broderick
> k...@kevinbroderick.com

Dave Swarthout