I've added Vermont's center-line
<http://geodata.vermont.gov/datasets/VTrans::vt-road-centerline> info to
the spreadsheet. As someone who does a lot of filtering of OSM roads based
on surface, exposing surface info to a broader group of editors would be a
fabulous win. Thanks for heading in this direction!

To do my own surface entry I've resorted to side-by side JOSM and QGIS
windows with the latter showing a color-coded road-centerline file. As can
be imagined, most people won't go to this effort and hence US road-surface
data in OSM is pretty patchy to say the least.