On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:01 PM Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in this subject. An issue is that the copyright might be
> owned by the government entity that created it, even if the records are
> open for the public. If something is public record in California, does that
> also mean that it's not copyrighted by the government entity that created
> it?
>
> Its my understanding that if the state government has an open data law
similar to the US, then when they release the data it's public domain.
There are exceptions. Sometime they license the data from a company without
have the rights to release it as PD. They also have exceptions for not
releasing data that has personal information. I sat through a talk by
WSDOT. One of the big issues they pressed was to be very careful be for
adding data to the state's open data portal. Once it's out in the open,
they can't get it back.

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us