Outside of Congressionally designated, capital-W Wilderness, are they
actually subject to significant additional oversight or management?

I'm not lucky enough to own such an inholding so as to need to know all the
details, but in recent news coverage of such a parcel in Montana's Crazy
Mountains, the USFS response seemed to be, "we wish it weren't being
developed, but it's private land and not within Wilderness, so it's not
really our business." (My paraphrase, I don't have the article handy).
There was also a point made that most, if not all, such parcels have a
right of access across USFS lands.

In that case, inner polygon exclusion seems appropriate, as it accurately
depicts the situation on the ground. Actually tackling such a project in
Montana (and I'd guess large parts of the West)  would be a nightmare due
to checkerboard ownership, but even identifying inholdings that were posted
against travel would be a helpful start.

I am aware of similar inholdings in Vermont state forests, too, although
I'm not sure of the legal issues involved.