Once again, I think that New York state lands offer a parallel.

The administrative borders of the Adirondack and Catskill parks are mapped
(boundary=national_park protect_class=2). This has been discussed
elsewhere; for these two specific regions, national_park appears to be a
better fit than a mere protected_area.

The state-owned and -managed land within the regions is mapped as well.
boundary=protected_area protect_class=1b leisure=nature_reserve foot=yes is
one combination, but there is a whole zoo of land classifications with
different land use and access constraints.

The private inholdings are mapped only by exclusion.