> Ok, so how to tag the parts that are within the administrative boundaries but
> which are not owned by the US Government? Or, how to tag the parts that are
> both within the boundary and owned by the US Government?

It depends on what is actually on the ground. It appears you and
others are conflating jurisdictional boundaries with
landuse/ownership. While NF-owned land must be within a NF boundary,
that is the end of any relationship between NF boundaries and
on-the-ground landuse. The "National Forest property behind this sign"
demarcates landuse, not jurisdiction. For example, in theory, there
could exist a single parcel of private property, that is also
partially within a designated wilderness, that also spans across two
different national forest boundaries. There's no casual relationship
between these concepts, in the sense that "this land is private,
therefore it is a 'hole' in the NF boundary".

What is actually on the ground should be tagged using landuse.
Private forest cabin within NF? landuse=residential, access=private.
Tree-covered land owned by USFS? landuse=forest, access=yes,
operator=Tahoe National Forest.
Private timber harvesting land? landuse=forest,
access=private/permissive, operator=whoever.
Notice that none of these involve changes to anything 'boundary',
because they're distinct and (mostly) orthogonal concepts.

The NF boundaries, for the most part, are correct in OSM as they are
and should not be touched unless incorrect per USFS GIS data which is
the reference for them. It's difficult to notice when they've been
incorrectly changed, and it's even more difficult to fix them once
they have been messed up. Someone has made up a lot of work in
California a few years ago by making wilderness boundaries share ways
with NF boundaries (mutually excluding NF jurisdiction from wilderness
area), when in fact wilderness areas *overlap* NF jurisdictional
boundaries and do _not_ exclude them (ie, wilderness areas are often
managed by multiple National Forests, and are not their own
separately-managed entity). I have fixed a couple near Lake Tahoe, but
it is enormously time consuming work that requires some experience
with GIS tools as well as JOSM, which is very frustrating considering
they were correct in the first place.