Jun 3, 2020, 06:09 by stevea...@softworkers.com:

> Mateusz Konieczny writes:
> "OSM is not a place to map property rights.  And landuse=residential is
> certainly not a tool for mapping boundaries of owned areas or property right
> boundaries."
>
> I don't wish to start an argument, and I ask with all the politeness I can
> muster, but Mateusz, how can you be so sure?  Quoting our wiki, "land
> use...describes what an area of land is used for e.g. housing..., etc."  On
> the land that property owners own, and live on, can you truly say they are
> not "using the entirety of their land for residential purposes?"  Of course,
> some of that might have a house or apartment building, but the rest of it, is
> that land not also residential?

Depends on a case. If you have a tree-covered area next to house, then it is
likely a landuse=residential
and it likely terminates where your owned area terminates.

But if you have 2000 acres of forest, wetland and whatever else - with your
house there, it
does not mean that the entire area becomes landuse=residential.

I agree that landuse=residential often matches property area (as people
typically use
their entire property).

But I would strongly against matching residential areas to property boundaries.

And I am strongly opposed to basing OSM mapping on people who think that
landuse=residential mapped in OSM defines their owned property and affects
their legal rights.

>   "the remainder of land which is used for residential purposes which does
> not strictly contain the footprint of a building (hut, apartment, tent,
> hogan, mud daub dwelling)?"  Something other than residential?  It is
> residential!

Yes, this is residential. But I have seen cases (and though that you are
talking about it) of people
tagging private forest/wetland/whatever as landuse=residential till their
property boundary

For example things like
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lush_undergrowth_Bj%C3%B6rnlandet_national_park.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lawthorn_wetland,_Irvine,_North_Ayrshire.jpg
were marked as landuse=residential solely because were on the same legal area
as a house,
despite not used for residential purpose in any way (except some
sightseeing/walking,
like it happens with any other forest).

For example, area should not be marked as landuse=industrial just because
someone
has legal rights to drill for oil there or legal rights to build factory there.

It also is not landuse=industrial if it is forest next to currently operating
factory, with a planned
construction there.

Only once a construction starts it can be marked as a  landuse=construction and
later once the factory is actually there it will be a landuse=industrial