>  should the entirety of the underlying area be tagged landuse=farmland or
landuse=residential?

Neither: just tag the areas that are used for residences as
landuse=residential, and the area used for farming (mostly crops) as
landuse=farmland.

In OpenStreetMap we want to map what is actually there, not the zoning or
legal landuse or property boundaries.

This might change next year, just like an unmown meadow may change back
into scrubland, and then eventually into woodland, or how a river will
meander over time.

Map what is there in reality right now, to your best ability. If people
want to know the legal zoning or property boundaries there are plenty of
data sources for that information, but OpenStreetMap is valueable because
it provides local knowledge of what is really there.

–Joseph Eisenberg