| From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
|
| On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 7:44 AM, Russell via talk <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:
|
| > Apparently Coffee Lake CPU's power attributes can be reset by overriding
| > the management engine on Skylake MB's.
| >
| > http://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/1665657-
| > coffeelake-completely-working-100-200-series-chipsets.html#/topics/1665657

This is definitely interesting.  Peering into a box intended to be
black.

Why would Intel intentionally obsolete a bunch of boards?  It would
seem to reduce the number of CPU sales.  Perhaps there is something
inferior about a system where the two pins are ignored (or whatever
happens to the two pins after the hack).

Intel might sell more support chips this way.  But they have to split the
proceeds of a motherboard sale with the motherboard manufacturer while
they get all the proceeds from a processor sale.

I assume that the motherboards in question were meant for Kaby Lake
CPUs (Kaby Lake preceded Coffee Lake).  After the firmware hack, could
you still use a Kaby Lake processor?

| Your quoted info seems specifically for a MSI product. As they are only one
| of more than a few mobo suppliers I'm wondering as to the possibility of
| using this on other manufacturer's products.

My guess is that this blob within the firmware is supplied by Intel
and is the same for all motherboards.  Except that Intel may make
changes over time but the copy in a particular firmware may not be the
latest.  But I would not want to act on a guess.  If I were trying
this on another board, I'd first verify that that board's initial blob
exactly matched MSI's initial blob.

| Ideas, thoughts please?

Why would you actually do this hack?

- this is from reverse engineering, not specification.  There is no
  guarantee that it is 100% functional.

- hacking firmware is the last thing you should try UNLESS you find it
  a fun challenge.  It isn't usually an optimal route if there are
  simpler choices.

  For example, buying a new motherboard and selling your old motherboard
  and old processor is simpler and may not be expensive.

- if a new firmware is released, you have to ignore it or hack it all
  over again, with a new set of risks.
---
Talk Mailing List
talk@gtalug.org