You can enable debugging in your pppd config which may help.
There is also a "usepeerdns" pppd option that may give you some joy.

I have a client who has a prison as a customer and they have lots of unusual requirements for computers inside the wire. I have debugged hundreds of PPP clients/servers over the years so if you want some help feel free to reach out and contact me.

On 2023-02-28 15:28, Stewart Russell via talk wrote:
Thanks, all. Yes, there has to be a DNS, but there's a chance that

 1. we haven't been told what it is;
 2. our connection/hardware hasn't been authorized to connect to it or
    know what it is
    (yes, it's that kind of place)

There is no other internet connection. We've been given a host name, not an internal IP address to connect to. We're also hearing that we're the first folks connecting via this ultra-locked down LTE network for IOT devices, so maybe they forgot to provision some services