If the externally-reachable network is intended for the IOT devices to connect to, they may well be
using IP addresses only.  Call it the "DMZ network" or "external network".

They probably have a "management network" that goes to different interfaces,
and which has DNS services for their own convenience. I've seen setups like this

internet --> DMZ network --> host <- management network <- firewall <- office
network

--dave