On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 12:43:42PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Current laptops rarely have Ethernet ports.  Wireless is good enough for
> most purposes and ethernet sockets add thickness.  You can always add a
> dongle (USB 3.x and Thunderbolt are plenty fast enough).

I have a USB gigabit adapter for my work laptop.  Haven't used it once
yet in 3 years.

> Perhaps "workstation" (eg. ThinkPad P series) and "gaming" notebooks have
> them.  Those are not optimizing for minimum weight and minimum size.

The 3rd gen P series dropped it.  They do have 40Gbps USB4/thunderbolt
ports though.

> I think that's dead except on systems that require more than 100w.  Not
> sure.

Certainly the Thinkpad P16 uses a rectangular 230W power connector.
Looks the same as the previous P series as far sa I can tell.

> I like the ThinkCentre M75q tiny at the moment.  Not perfect by any means.
> I just bought one and will try to use it to replace my almost 10 year old
> conventional desktop.
>
> It all depends on what you value.
>
> I always think I want upgradability.  So lets look at what I did upgrade
> in almost 10 years of my disktop.
>
> - more RAM (4 sockets!).  M75q has 2 sockets (I've maxed it)
>
> - video card (PCIe sockets).  M75q cannot be upgraded.
>
> - faster ethernet card (PCIe sockets): I never needed it.  M75q cannot.
>   But now I have a mild need: we got Bell FTTH with 1.5g down.  I expect
>   it doesn't matter.
>
> What do you imagine that you might expand?

Well you don't have to have more than 1Gbit on a single machine just
because you have 1.5Gbit to the house.  Although I guess if you don't
share with anyone, you want to use it all yourself.  I am currently
pondering whether 10Gbit switches are easy to find to wire up my new
house when I move this fall.  Well if I wanted to spend $10000 they are
easy to find, but that seems a tad unreasonable to me.  Now if I could
buy one at cost from work... maybe I should ask.

--
Len Sorensen