On 2023-06-27 08:19, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 07:29:23PM -0400, Colin McGregor via talk wrote:
Let's see if I understand this correctly, Red Hat has now put a whole
lot of open source / GPL software behind a paywall, where you have to
pay $$ for a subscription in order to access the source code. Then if
anyone uses that subscription to produce an Red Hat style distribution
(ie: Red Hat minus any support services) their subscription will be
cancelled... Is the above what I am reading here? :

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/im-done-red-hat-enterprise-linux

If this is true then it confirms my decision to use Debian GNU/Linux
as for all its' faults (and it does have several) Debian GNU/Linux
just doesn't pull this sort of @#$% .
Red Hat charges for access to their software and support.  If you get
their software that way, they of course are required to let you have
the source code.

But then they do in fact tell you that if you share that source code
I have looked a bit at various statements but nowhere near enough to comment authoritatively. Where do they actually lay out the restrictions on the use of the source code for their subscription?

Also curious. What is Canonical's(Ubuntu) take on cloning Ubuntu and selling it as a competing distribution?
(which you are of course permitted to do by the license), they are allowed
to cancel your contract and decide to never do business with you again.
Well I think they say they can cancel your contract for any reason they
want, but that sharing the source code would very likely make them do so.

So similar to what the grsecurity people were trying to do, but at IBM
scale instead.  Red Hat is far from the company it was 30 years ago.
Yeah I am happy I switched to debian 25 years ago because Red Hat's
quality was so poor at the time.  Debian having a better designed
packaging system was a bonus.

Strangely around the same time I switched to RedHat because I got tired of having to apply my own security patches to the kernel and applications because the distribution was shipping with largely unmodified sources.
Like many things in life "your mileage may vary".

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net              ||