Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote on 2023-08-01 20:09:

They have a 5G plan for the same money that I'm paying Koodo for 4G with 10GB more per month.

Already sounds enticing.

I too have been a customer for ~10 years and recently got a free upgrade on data:

I used to get 250 MB (yes, megabytes), seems I now have 705MB (odd number) and it's Freedom and Nationwide data.

So, yay.

Also, in BC we'd get free access to Shaw WiFi in a lot of locations which helped reduce my actual LTE data to 250MB or less monthly, easily.

And one thing I really appreciate is that Wind Mobile would throttle users when they hit their data caps instead of charging a fortune for overages. I'll always appreciate that.

Pretty well everywhere I usually go these days is within Freedom's 5G coverage area. with 4G elsewhere (including the non-Freedom "nationwide" network coverage).

I'm curious why you're interested in 5G?

I thought it was mostly something more useful for the mobile service providers (higher capacity per tower, etc.) and the slight increase in speed seen by devices wasn't really significant. Of course, I could be wrong, and your situation might be enlightening.

Still, I have a few concerns. Reviews for Freedom on Trustpilot are plentiful and almost universally vicious. So long as everything Just Works my customer service interactions tend to be limited to initial setup.

Does anyone here have any real-life data points to offer? Thanks!

Their front line support has been frustrating in the past, as with most companies. ESL script readers can be difficult to discuss technical issues with. That said, there's been some really good service on some calls.

All in all, it's pretty infrequent that I need support these days, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

I think some of the animosity toward them lingers from the "olden days", plus there's a certain level of mobile device snob that frowns upon "the poors" who seemingly can't afford anything better than Wind / Freedom.

It's a weird attitude, but it's out there.

Finally, there's a really handy app & web site that allows users to track *actual* coverage as measured by their devices and see real world results:

> https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=302&MNC=490

Check your favourite locations, the coverage of individual towers, specific carriers & bands, etc. Great and clever tool!

Best of luck with it...

rb