On 2023-08-02 13:43, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
To the best of my knowledge TLS and SSL are not subject to problems of NAT translation but I could be wrong.

As I mentioned, one of the advantages of UDP encapsulation is seamless transition between the cell network and WiFi calling.  If you enapsulated TLS, you'd get the same benefit.  BTW, isn't SSL long obsolete, replaced by TLS?

Were Chuck's calls intercepted?  I know Diana's calls were, but they were analog back in those days and very easy to intercept.  A heck of a lot of stuff uses IPSec and I haven't heard of it being broken.
There was the infamous call to now Queen Camilla.

I hadn't heard anything about that, but then again I have absolutely no use for the monarchy, so I try to ignore them as much as possible.

There are still a number of security holes in the Cell phone system.
For example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellphone_surveillance

Those aren't about IPSec.  They are other issues, which could also apply to VoIP apps and other traffic.  BTW, I'm currenly reading a book "Pegasus", which is about a spyware app.  Very interesting.

https://mississauga.overdrive.com/media/8224018