> The linux kernel requires that code contributors be registered.  I
> think that contibutions must be cryptographically signed, but I'm not
> sure.  This helps but isn't air-tight.

This is news to me.  No, there is no registration to work on the kernel.
There us no single authority who you could register with. I believe i know
what your misunderstanding is. after the 2012 breach, Linus prefers your
tags be signed (i recall there are still a few straggler maintainers out
there). This doesn’t affect the average contributor because they don’t send
pull requests to Linus. Now because we wanted signed tags and key
distribution is a fun problem, one needed to get their keys signed. The
protocol was - I know this person and have verified their identity, so i
will sign their key. One of the things we did was check each others
government issued ids. Of course we are no experts in spotting fake ids so
that is a risk factor considered. But for most part we signed each others
keys and “verified” their identity and I think you misremembered it as
registering.

Dhaval