| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk@gtalug.org>

| It turns out that the bug is in libwebp.  "WebP codec is a library to
| encode and decode images in WebP format."
|
| libwebp is used in a lot of programs.  On my Fedora 38 system, it is a
| shared library so it can be fixed in one update.  Except where the library
| is copied (for example, statically linked, or used in a container of some
| sort).

Still more reverberation: copies exist in several Python projects.
This paper appears to report on rather hard work to discover problems with
projects in PyPI.

<https://sethmlarson.dev/security-developer-in-residence-weekly-report-16>

Perhaps analogous work is needed in many repositories.  Of course libwebp
might not be the only dangerous library.