Checked the logs, which wasn't helpful; there was no persistent log, and I can only maneuver when booting from the USB stick -- which doesn't have the problem in the first place -- so no easy way to see what is or isn't loading when there is a problem.  Found a suggestion on Reddit that the problem might be in changes to vconsole.conf, specifically to use a private keymap, so I changed that file to longer use a private keymap, but it didn't help.  I also tried changing the boot network configuration, and the only result of that seems to be a more complete freeze, so now the computer doesn't even boot to a login prompt.  I think it's time for a full reset of the BIOS to the defaults, pull all the installed hard disks, and do a complete wipe/reinstall.  There is a reason the machine was out of service.

This, mind you, to get a replacement machine for the one with the flaky motherboard (which runs just fine once it has booted as long as you reset time/date and don't try to run X).