Booted from a USB with Arch Linux on it; chroot into the now-working computer; ran a system update (massive: 500+ packages).  Something in there -- likely the new kernel and firmware -- fixed the keyboard problem.  So I didn't have to reinstall, just get far enough in to do an upgrade.

I now have a functional computer to replace the Lenovo T5.  For those of you keeping score, I *still* do not have the replacement MB I ordered from Canada Computers on 27 September.  (And, yes, when I ordered it they listed it as in stock.)  I got an email from them yesterday telling me they hoped to have the order ready in a week.  I got another email from them today asking if I wanted to cancel my order.  I am very tempted to do so and yank the components and build up a new computer from scratch at this point.