I am hoping to benefit from the experience of the group.

I have to recreate a wordpress-based website for work, from partial
information.

I have a database dump, and the contents of the web root - which gives me
hope that this is possible.

What I don't have are any configuration files for the webserver, and this
wordpress site used to live as a subfolder of another domain which has not
been renewed - like http://expired.com/my_wordpress_site

I also don't have the .htaccess file for the site.

I put the files on my local Debian box, and re-created the database, but
all the links on the site are broken, because they still try to resolve
expired.com. I changed the siteurl in wordpress, but the problem persists,
and I am at a loss.

Anyone have any advice?