ac via talk wrote on 2024-01-08 02:22:

the ~ means if it is not from your servers it is also okay.

the - means ONLY from your severs.

The link I posted earlier (linuxbabe.com) had an interesting take on "~" vs "-" and why the former is preferable:

If a multi-host (postfix) site receives your mail (like Google?) and it gets relayed between their servers (perhaps main one is down for maintenance), and the final server gets the mail from the backup, sees "-", it may reject it.

Not sure if this is correct, but did cause pause for thought and am considering changing "-" to "~" on my domains.

Your SPF "should" maybe say:

mimosa.com.             IN      TXT     "v=spf1 +a +mx
+ip4:206.248.139.113 +ip4:98.158.128.23"

If I recall correctly, it's best to put IP addresses earlier in the list to save DNS look-ups, saving a tiny bit of time.

> (Your post did not include the "+" BEFORE the mx in the entry...)

True, and I agree it's best to include them to be as specific as possible on the author's intentions, however the "+" is the default, hence implied.

But, I agree, use them anyway.

rb