On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 2:46 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
wrote:

> (The old Bell system had large lead-acid batteries in the COs.  Old handsets
> were actually powered by the CO.  Modern ones have their own power for
> many functions.  So we used to expect the phone to work during "hydro"
> failures.)

I still do.

While I have some cheap Vtech phones with message recorder plugged into the
landline, I still maintain one plain touchtone phone in the living room
that has no external power and still runs fine. Two years ago, when my
street's power transformer blew and we had no electricity for days while it
was replaced, that phone worked just fine throughout. Between that and the
UPS I used for charging my mobile devices, I made many new friends among my
neighbours. (Having a gas stove was also very helpful at the time...)

CO-powered phones are still available and their simplicity keeps them cheap.
<https://www.amazon.ca/Vtech-Trimstyle-Corded-Telephone-CD1103WT/dp/B008UZDYP0/ref=sr_1_1>

- Evan