From: "Steve Petrie via talk" <talk@gtalug.org>
> [...]
> This same brain-dead abusive Rogers sales loser, actually ended our call
> by shouting "F**k You !!" at me, before he ended the call. Charming :)
> Seemed to me his vituperative manner could have been a reflection of a
> possibly desperate Rogers.

I've read about this kind of thing.  There was a post-mortem study after
Hydro One had replaced their billing system around 2011..2013 (?).
The link to the study may be buried somewhere deep in my old mail here,
but there's a taste at
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/hydro-one-on-billing-problems-we-ve-come-a-long-way-1.2947526

Management forecast that trouble calls would tick up by 20% or so
fallowing the switchover, and hired more help-line people accordingly.
Instead, trouble calls were up by hundreds of percent, and the problems
themselves were very gnarly and hard to diagnose.  Management responded in
a few ways, unfortunately one way was to strongly incentivize the help
desk people to end trouble calls faster, and get more calls completed.
The word got around that an effective method was to use profane and
obscene language to get the customer to hang up.
Help-desk people are forbidden to hang up, but if the customer terminated
the call it would count as a problem resolution, and therefore a good
thing.  Taking too long could cost a rep a job.

Looks like Rogers could be managing its people the same way.

Cory Doctorow posted a relevant article today:
https://pluralistic.net/2024/01/15/passive-income-brainworms/#four-hour-work-week

Money quote:
"while we're nowhere near a place where bots can steal your job, we're
certainly at the point where your boss can be suckered into firing you and
replacing you with a bot that fails at doing your job"