I use Becky for certain email accounts in particular situations and I like it.
It is very stable and basic but
with a good deal of flexibility.  The fact that it allows one to read message
with its own cursor is still
something I like.  As hard as AI Squared and everyone works, there just seems
to be extra trouble when Browse Mode
has to be used to read messages even though it has advantages.  Becky seems to
handle most HTML pretty well which
is sometimes a possible drawback with email programs that give you a read
window with a cursor.

If I had to point at something I don't like it would be the method one has to
use to move messages to other
folders.  There might be a way around this, though.  To move messages to other
folders, one has to copy or cut the
line representing that message in the message list, go to the destination
folder and then paste the message into
that folder.  This is all very easy to do, but I have not found a completely
reliable way to return to where I left
off in the original folder.  There are options that help, but nothing I have
found that works all the time.  This
isn't a huge deal, though.  Someone else here may have found a better way
around that problem.

You can download and try becky before buying it.  That is probably the best way
to know how well it would work for
you.  Email programs seem to be very dependent upon the individual.  Like you,
I tried Thunderbird and just didn't
warm up to it, and I am not one who likes my email program to be updated all
the time.  Becky is still being
updated, but I have found the updates to generally be subtle and they seem to
be careful not to break what was
working.  You will notice some terminology might be confusing.  For example,
how the original message is handled in
a reply is called citation.  This makes sense because you are citing the
original message, but I skipped right over
it when I was trying to set up reply options.

I wish Becky would support the protocol that Outlook and Windows Live Maile use
to communicate with the Outlook.COM
family of sites, but I gather that the use of that protocol is very tightly
controlled by Microsoft.  Becky does
support IMAP, though, as well as the normal POP3 and SMTP with some variations.
 I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson