Here is what I found to change the default spacing in Word 2007.

Press alt p p g
This will stop on allign
Tab until you get to line spacing (about 9 presses of the tab key)
up and down arrow until you get the setting you want.
Tab four more times to default and press enter.
You will get a prompt about changing settings. If you are sure this is what you want, press enter on OK.
Tab to the OK button and press enter.
Your new setting should come up each time you open a new document.
Unfortunately, I do not know if there are any other shortcuts available to make permanent changes.

If you only want to change spacing for specific documents, press control-number row 1 for single spacing,
control-number row 2 for double spacing and
control-number row 5 for 1.5 spacing.  Hope this helps.

Carol