Jim,

I agree with you on more than one way to do things. I don't think the comparison with algebra is quite spot on but the idea is. In something like algebra different methods just click better with some people. So choice is good. But I often find the single explanations of how to do something on our computer is the long way around, i.e. creating a shortcut reduces it to one key combination rather than several steps. But of course teaching one how to best maximize their productivity certainly isn't the responsibility of screen reader developers.

On the other hand I do agree with Sky regarding the writing of manuals. Good documentation is in my opinion an art form. I'm not saying that the WE manuals are particularly bad, but there is certainly room for improvement. When the new manuals were written a lot of material was left out or so minimized that the scant explanations really tell the user nothing. But of course writing documentation is the last thing most developers want to focus on or spend time on. And Sky is right about information overload. Patience is often rare and quitting is always easier. So it's somewhat of a no win situation.

Regards,
Tom