From: Talk
[mailto:talk-bounces+rod_hutton=hotmail....@lists.window-eyes.com] On Behalf
Of Carol and Roger via Talk
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:19 AM
To: Dave <dlh...@centurylink.net>; Window-Eyes Discussion List
<talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Subject: Re: Amazon's Kendal Book Reader for the PC

Hi Grumpy Dave,

I have a better suggestion.  You still purchase your Kindle books.
Instead of using the Amazon Kindle app, you can convert your files to
another format of your own choosing by using a program called Codex.  I am
placing the link here.  The program allows one to convert .pdf, .epub, .azw
or whatever file type the Amazon books are in, and other formats from one to
another.  For example, you can even convert a .docx to a .txt or .rtf.  It
is pretty easy to use and it can be run in the Windows Explorer, at least on
Win7 machines, through the context menu.
You set your default file type for output and when you select convert, your
file is automatically converted to the file you requested.  There is also an
option to choose another file type without changing your default.  For
example, you found a magazine article you wanted to read quickly..save it as
a .txt and read it quickly.  So, finally, here is the link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5121410/Codex-2.0-setup.exe

Oh yes, I used it yesterday and was informed there is a newer version.
You can update it directly from the program.

Carol

On 9/13/2016 9:44 PM, Dave via Talk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few years ago, Amazon put out a program that was to have made Books,
> in the Kendal format, readable by using Amazon's Book reader for the PC.
>
> I did download this Reader, but found it lacking and ended up not
> using it.
>
> Now that two or three years have gone by, does anyone on this list
> have any recent experience with this Reader by Amazon?
>
> Does it work?  Are there issues I should know about?    And of course,
> does it work with Window Eyes or NVDA?
>

> Thanks for any comments,
>
> Grumpy Dave

List archives can be found at