A major issue for multiple interfaces for the same software package in addition
to the initial development time is the cost of additional support. If a bug is
found, or a new feature is desired, the company potentially have to make two
changes instead of one. A change to the version for the sighted user and a
change to the alternative for the vision-impaired.

It is really better to build in accessibility from the start and have
accessible interfaces on,ly. My experience with software for music and audio
leads me to believe the issue is a lack of imagination. The developer, being
sighted, can picture how she wants the set of “controls” to behave, so she
designs a graphical model of the interface and has code behind it to perform
various functions as that interface is manipulated with the mouse or other
means. There is no conception of the interface other than a visual one.

It would be interesting to hear what successful blind musicians, composers,
engineers and producers do to cope with all of this.

Regards,
Stan

Sent from my Mac Mini