From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+rod_hutton=hotmail....@lists.window-eyes.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Kingston via Talk
Sent: May 23, 2017 3:24 PM
To: Carol and Roger <carogsm...@embarqmail.com>; Window-Eyes Discussion List
<talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Subject: Re: Reading the Status Line in JAWS

I haven't installed JAWS yet. But I assume the problem is that JAWS does
not possess the elegant code Window-Eyes does to determine the logical
status bar when there is no actual status bar, which is the case on the
desktop and in Thunderbird.
Obviously there's no status bar on the desktop. But in Thunderbird there
is a window that looks and acts like a status bar, but it is not
(technically speaking) a true status bar.
It's a good example of the never-ending uphill battle screen-reader
developers face. Windows has a specific status bar window that can be
created and yet it is not uncommon for developers to just tack on
another standard window that accomplishes the same purpose visually.
Regards,
Tom