This is exactly what I need - thank you so much!
Alison

-----Original Message-----
From: Talk <talk-bounces+chrisalismay=gmail....@lists.window-eyes.com> On
Behalf Of Tom Kingston via Talk
Sent: 13 May 2018 01:33
To: CJ&AA MAY via Talk <talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Cc: Tom Kingston <tom.kings...@charter.net>
Subject: Re: auto-paragraphs

Here's how I do it.
In Office 365, which is Word 2016, just activate the Paragraph option in the
context menu. It's the same as pressing Alt-Q for the search box in the
ribbon and entering paragraph. This will give you paragraph settings.
Pressing enter will open that dialog. Otherwise it's a button under the
layout tab.
Tab down through and set the first line indent to whatever you want.
Ignore the left and right fields as these are for indenting entire
paragraphs, which is something you might use to visually offset a paragraph
length quotation of someone else's work by making both margins larger.
The first line selection is in a combo-box.
Tab down to the Set as default button and press it.
Now, every time you hit enter you'll have a new paragraph that's
automatically indented. To remove the indent from the first paragraph of
each scene or section just go to the first line, press Home to be sure
you're on the first character, and press backspace.
If you want confirmation, press Control+Numpad plus before backspace.
You should hear for example, 1.5 inches from left, 1.0 inches from top.
backspace and press Control+numpad plus again and you should hear 1.0 inches
from left, 1.0 inches from top.
the thing you have to remember though is not to remove the indent until
after you've started the second paragraph. Doing so turns off the automatic
indentation for the document. But this is useful when you want to do just
that for a document.
Pressing the tab key once will also indent. But you have to remember to do
it on every new paragraph. And most editors don't want tabbed indentations.
And finally, Control+M indents the entire paragraph. For example, let's say
you have no automatic indentation of the first line going on. So every line
will begin at 1.5 inches from the left. Pressing Control+M will shift the
entire paragraph to the indentation level. So every line will begin at 2
inches from the left.
Hth,
Tom

On 5/12/2018 5:40 AM, CJ&AA MAY via Talk wrote:
> What my tutor wants is for me to submit my material in double line
> spacing with the first paragraph left-aligned and all subsequent
> paragraphs indented.
> So, what I would do is write the first paragraph without indenting.
> Then, because the text is double-line spaced, pressing the enter key
> once (to create a new line) acts as a new paragraph.
> Until now, I have been pressing the space bar five times on these new
> lines to indent the paragraph but my tutor would prefer me to use
> Microsoft's auto-paragraph function.
> Microsoft has an auto-paragraphing command, which I've found in the
> context menu but I'm unsure how to use it.
> Also, Microsoft also offer control m as a way of indenting a paragraph.
> What I'm asking is how do I use the auto-paragraph function in the
> context menu or, whether by pressing control m on the second paragraph
> would then mean that all subsequent paragraphs would be indented, as
> with bullets and auto-numbering?
>
> Alison

> List archives can be found at

List archives can be found at