As for trouble with the Registry, CCleaner might be of some help. You
find it at

     ccleaner.com

The Home Standard version, is free of charge. Basically, long as you do
not change the factory settings, it might be safe enough to run. But you
might want to  go through the settings, to make sure it does what you
want, and nothing more. In the Main menu, choose Options, then Settings.
Work your way through the tabs, and it will at least give you an idea
what kind of issues the cleaner will care for.

Note that a cleaner will not repair anything. It will remove things that
seem to be outdated or left-overs, even broken. In other words, if your
MP3's do not play, the cleaner might not fix that in itself. But it
might remove a broken connection between your file type and the player.
This will leave the MP3 connection open so to speak, and you then will
be able to reconnect it with your chosen player. Broken connections, or
associations, may cause trouble to many things on your computer, since
they serve as a road map for the computer to know where to take given
info, and what to do about it. Such broken stuff might come from
uninstalling, updating or otherwise changing software on your PC. They
can even arise as a consequence of a power failure, a failed or
cancelled operation, a forced shut down of the system, or any untold
reasons.

Another software that I have been benefitting from, and which takes care
of different issues, is SpyBot Search and Destroy. One place to get that
one from, is:

     ninite.com

SpyBot is an Anti-Spyware. But due to the fact that spyware includes a
number of techniques, and some of them meddle with many things on your
computer, a side-effect of SpyBot is that it might happen to clean out
things that solves technical issues. Again, the benefit of such, is that
it leaves you with a more clean PC, and makes it easier for you to
troubleshoot. Leaving factory settings usually is the best way, but it
leaves you certain control over its activity.

Both the above cleaners do work with WinEyes. They are, as most modern
software, quite mouse entensive. As a note, I just tested them this
morning when cleaning up my system, with Jaws 18 and likewise NVDA.
Clearly, WinEyes offered you the best control. Even in CCleaner's latest
version, NVDA worked only so well, and Jaws failed altogether. WinEyes
got the job done. Funny how different screen readers work, and how the
old approach sometimes is the better go.

All of this, only for your information.

David