Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 12:12 AM
To: peter Chin ; Window-Eyes Discussion List
Subject: Re: Solving Mouse Trap

Sleeping dogs, disturbing cats, and the misbehaving mouse. Peter, you
sure have got the whole zoo - right there on your desk. If now you use
DuckDuckGo as your search engine, you would just about be there. Smiles.

I am not going to lengthen anything. Just thought to leave you a couple
of tips, that you may want to consider.

Went to my search engine, and typed the term:
    Uninstalling Java.

It resulted in a list of sites that gave a few suggestions. Wanted to
share with you a couple of addresses, that might point you in further
direction. But first of all, did you know the manufacturer of Java had
their own removal tool?
You will find it here:
https://javadl-esd-secure.oracle.com/update/jut/JavaUninstallTool.exe

The above link should start the download immediately. You will get an
.EXE file, which you can run directly. No need for any pre-installation.
It supposedly will remove all traces of Java, found on your system. And
since it is a stand-alone software, it might just be a bit more
intensive than the Windows installer itself. I do not have Java on my
system, so running the tool, I was only able to get to the first screen,
which informed me of the lack of Java on my computer. At least that far,
WinEyes had no trouble in reading the screen. Be aware, the mouse did
not work on the screen, so you will likely have to use your Tab, Enter
and Spacebar. But ain't that the way we like it?

As an alternative, I want to point you to CCleaner. If you start that
program, and on the main screen go to Tools, then hit Enter. Further
browse the screen for the Uninstaller, and Click Enter. You now will be
taken to CCleaners Software Remover, which might be able to remove
things that Windows will not handle on its own.

A couple of the sites I checked, adviced using a third-party remover,
like Revo. Not sure. Seem to remember someone telling the newer versions
of Revo to have issues with screen readers, but that is all by memory,
so you might want to check that out with the community before attempting
to use it. If you can get it working, it might be far more agressive
than Windows Installer, and might be better at bypassing obstacles like
the ones you mentioned. Further I learnt from my search, that sometimes
a broken installation or update can leave your Registry entries in a
non-working state. This could in turn block you from future updates, or
even the very removal of pieces of software. On the Java home page, you
find a couple of suggestions in such cases. One automated from
Microsoft, which seems to be rather high-tech. The other suggestion did
seem to be a bit more doable, but requires a number of manual steps. You
find it all here:
The techie one, from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed
, also read this:
https://www.guidingtech.com/20274/completely-remove-uninstall-java-windows-pc/
, as well as this one, from Java themselves:
    https://java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml

Hope any of the listed info will prove helpful, and that you can get
Java off your computer. It might take a bit of time and energy, but once
your system is rid of that software package altogether, you may just
find your syste m less troublesome. Make sure the JavaBridge from
GWMicro will be removed as well. I do wonder if that used to be listed
in the Windows Uninstall list, if it ever is on your PC.

You said you do not know how Java came to be on your computer first
hand. Certainly, it could have come buntled with other software that you
might have installed at a point. Or the Tech personel could have thought
either they or you needed the package for who knows what reason. But
just as likely, it might have come buntled with your computer, the day
you bought it. Specially so if you bought it brand new, from one of the
major brands. HP, for one, used to love speckling their systems with
loads of software that they found you would need. Starting your new
system, you would find it to be loaded down with resource hungry pieces
of software, that you never asked for, and never had any benefit from.
Notice that still certain models from major brands are advertised with
loads of such software pre-installed by default. Too bad, as it often
means for the user to have to uninstall a rather big chunk of his new
system, even before he can start enjoying his newcomer. Once the
computers are ripped for this kind of unwanted stuff, they might prove
to be some of the most reliable workhorses on the market, serving for
many years.

Like I said, did not mean to keep a thread unnecessary alive. Just let
you know some of your options. Hope for your mouse to have learned its
lesson.