On 21/02/2008 09:26, John McKerrell wrote:
> Yes, this sounds great. I don't tend to log explicit waypoints so this
> is going to be much more useful for me. Did you think about having a
> little arrow or some sort of marker that followed the trace as you
> played the audio or is there some specific reason that this would not be
> possible?

OK, your wish is my command. From tomorrow's build, once you turn the
feature on, a little orange arrow can track your position on the track
with reference to the audio. (I noted the request for different icons,
but I've just done it with an arrowhead at present; I've run out of time
today).

There is also a preferences tab for audio control now rather than just
using Advanced Preferences, and you have to turn this feature on (it is
off by default - perhaps I should reverse this, but we'll see how it
goes). You can also directly set the timing values and so on that I
mentioned before.

The effect is quite mesmeric. One thing I didn't appreciate until I saw
it working though is that you no longer need make a loop or anything
else on your GPS. As long as you have a known point to sync to at the
start, you can then just dictate "White Swan pub on the left NOW", and
the orange arrow will point to where you were when you said NOW. That is
really quite a neat feature - perhaps you had realised that consequence
- I hadn't.

The trace works for audio derived from waymarks or by sampling (or
indeed from audio waypoints in the original GPX file).

David