On 21/02/2008 23:56, David Earl wrote:
> One thing I realised just cycling along this evening, having stepped
> back from the project for a while, is that when you don't have a
> waypoint at the start it is hard to synchronise on a marker, because it
> they are sampled, not related to any specific point, so to make this
> truly useful I need to add something to let you adjust or identify the
> sync point. In the meantime, you might need to add or remove a small
> amount of silence at the beginning of your sound track in Audacity to
> compensate. I'll make sure I put a proper solution in for this soon.

I know what I'll do - I'll provide sync the other way round - instead of
selecting a marker and playing the sound track until it aligns, you'd
play the sound track until the trace marker reaches your landmark, then
you say synchronise. You don't even need to record anything significant
on the soundtrack to identify the landmark.

The main thing would be user understanding of what the difference is
between "sync audio to marker" and "sync location to audio". I think
what I might do is have a single sync, but let you choose in the
preferences which way round you want it to behave. (Or I could do one if
the audio markers were sampled and another if they came from genuine
waypoints - though I think the new kind of sync is useful there as well).

David