On 21/02/2008 20:59, John McKerrell wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2008, at 19:04, David Earl wrote:
>
>> On 21/02/2008 09:26, John McKerrell wrote:
>>> Yes, this sounds great. I don't tend to log explicit waypoints so
>>> this is going to be much more useful for me. Did you think about
>>> having a little arrow or some sort of marker that followed the
>>> trace as you played the audio or is there some specific reason
>>> that this would not be possible?
>> The effect is quite mesmeric. One thing I didn't appreciate until I
>> saw it working though is that you no longer need make a loop or
>> anything else on your GPS. As long as you have a known point to
>> sync to at the start, you can then just dictate "White Swan pub on
>> the left NOW", and the orange arrow will point to where you were
>> when you said NOW. That is really quite a neat feature - perhaps
>> you had realised that consequence - I hadn't.
>>
> Funnily enough, the first time I tried audio tracing I just assumed
> there was something like this available, so when I came to use my
> audio I realised that all my "post box on the left .... NOW, bus stop
> on the right... NOW" was fairly useless. Maybe I'll go back and try
> that trace again now ;-)

One thing I realised just cycling along this evening, having stepped
back from the project for a while, is that when you don't have a
waypoint at the start it is hard to synchronise on a marker, because it
they are sampled, not related to any specific point, so to make this
truly useful I need to add something to let you adjust or identify the
sync point. In the meantime, you might need to add or remove a small
amount of silence at the beginning of your sound track in Audacity to
compensate. I'll make sure I put a proper solution in for this soon.

David