> Break the way at the start and end of each passing section and tag with
> lanes=2 for the normal sections (assuming its normally a two lane
> undivided
> highway) and...

lanes=2 is not supposed to be the "default value" ?
I mean, it's obvious for me that lanes=2 is the default for
highway=motorway, trunk, primary , secondary, tertiary, etc... but it's
maybe different for other contributors.... (only the motorway tag is clear
about this in the Map Features wiki page).
And what about motorway_link, and other xxx_link ? could we consider that
the default is lanes=1 for the linking sections ? or shall we always tag the
lanes=x because the default amount of lanes in a link is country specific ?

regards
Pieren