From: Simon Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 July 2008 09:25:55 BDT
To: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] OSM maps in 3D

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 08:27:56AM +0100, elvin ibbotson wrote:

Why not use Java instead of Microsoft stuff then it would run on
anything.

Java doesn’t really run on anything, and we’re only just getting close
to a full working free software implementation.

Java runs on Windows, Mac, Linux and Solaris and has been full, free and working for years.

For 3D, some framework that sits on OpenGL would be even better (or use
OpenGL directly).

Java 3D will use OpenGL or DirectX. That's one way it runs on anything ;-)

Please note: I am an unpaid Java evangelist and have no connection with Sun.

elvin