Jannis, I think the "nicety" of screenshots I published are more the result of a  better graphics card than my programming skills :). I'm sure you can come up with even better stuff using DirectX 10 or something similar :)

Anyway, I too worked on a similar thing 2-3 years ago but then I gave up because I didn't have anything more than the relief and a bitmap to show - this was before I got involved with the OSM project. Having a freely available vector map data changes everything...

Igor

Jannis Achstetter wrote:
Igor Brejc schrieb:
Hi,

I've started playing around using DirectX in combination with SRTM data to draw 3D relief OSM maps. The plan is to add this feature to Kosmos. Please visit http://igorbrejc.net/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-in-3d if you want to see some initial results.

Yap, this indeed looks nice.
I did something similar very long time ago (was at API 0.4 times) and it really doesn't look that good, I just thought I share this with you:
http://kripton.kripserver.net/software/v.in.osm/nviz_visual_osm_height.png

The picture shows Aschaffenburg, Germany. Main Image is landsat, green lines are OSM-data (lines), blue lines are OSM-data (areas). Height data is taken from SRTM.

The image is created using the nviz-module from GRASS GIS in linux.

Jannis

http://igorbrejc.net