On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:08:11AM +0100, Dave Stubbs wrote:

> I think we had this discussion before and came to the conclusion that:
>  - 50mph was essentially mapping a sign, because the speed limit is a
> speed, not a unit ...

And as some applications might want to show the precise sign value, not some
rounded appoximation (agreed that apps can round). Plus it's more intuitive for
the mapper.

>  - that the tag without a unit should probably be assumed to be km/h.

that's why my example used maxspeed=50mph and maxspeedd:mph=50 in case you
haven't noticed :-)

>  - that anything intelligent enough to know if it wants to represent
> maxspeeds in mph/kph is intelligent enough to know it can safely round
> to the nearest integer.

Anything being able to round to the next number should als be able to read
miles (or have a clever enough preprocessor to do it :-))

>  - and that it's possible to represent an exact mph in kph anyway if
> you can really be bothered: 1mile == 1.609344km exactly

Do you always carry your calculator with you when mapping or do you do it by
hand :-)

I am not saying that it shouldn't be tagged as a rounded km/h value. However,
people shouldn't think they are forced to. If they feel that maxspeed:mph=50
makes more sense, than that should work too.