As well as "You can't do this" and "You must do this" we need "You may
do this (that normally you can't)". Where I live, you can't do a
U-turn at traffic lights unless there's a sign that says you can.  If
we try and mark this by putting relations at every light banning
U-turns, we'll just end up with the no-street name problem - how can
you tell the difference between somewhere you can do a u-turn and
somewhere that hasn't been mapped. If we can mark the places you can
turn, then it matches the signs, and we can preprocess the data to
something routers can use.

There's a challenge for the router dev's as well.  Add an option to
your routing software that disables u-turns at traffic lights unless a
restriction specifically allows it.  You'll be ahead of both of the
commercial GPS devices I've tried.

Stephen