On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 04:57, Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you look at the license plan you'll see it comes in the following stages:
>
> 1) Make the plan and the draft public. Ask for feedback.
> 2) Wait for feedback to be taken into account and expect/hope for a
> final version of the ODbL
> 3) See if the OSMF board approves
> 4) See if OSMF members like what results
> 5) If they do, then start asking the rest of the community

> Maybe we've found some people who want to be invovled in stage 1 who
> didn't realise until now that they did. Good. It's nice to have more
> people interested.

Agreed. It's a good thing that we're getting interest now and not
after it's too late.

I think some of the anger that's resulted from all of this is because
we're writing an OSM license -- yes, I know it's not *just* an OSM
license, but we look to be the first big user and seem to be one of
the major forces behind its creation -- at arm's length through ODC.
The "dark side" of the free-as-in-speech nature of open
source/databases/etc. is that people get very unhappy when they feel
like they haven't been able to contribute. Not having the license as
an OSM project, or even prominently pointed out from the OSM site,
makes people feel left out.

I think three months would be reasonable if a finalized ODbL 1.0 had
been published for a while or we were going to some other license that
had already had the what-ifs answered and/or dealt with, but when the
text isn't finalized yet and there's already a timeline with specific
dates to move to the new license, it feels like we're being pushed.

Personally, I'd love to see 5 moved up to before or concurrent with 3
and 4, even if it's just a straw poll that results in "x% say they
they think OSM should adopt ODbL, y% say they would probably agree to
the license but think it still needs work, z% say they don't want to
change, and w% of the people who logged in didn't answer the poll." I
assume that there would be a second vote required to actually approve
moving to the new license, but it lets people feel like they're
involved before the OSMF and/or its board make any decision.

--
David J. Lynch
djly...@gmail.com