Okay, so, I think this thread is wrapping up.  I'd like to make a
summary of what I've learned:
   o A substantial number of OSM contributors believe that the
Wikipedia lat/lon doesn't meet our standards for fair use of
copyrighted works.
   o Some OSM contributors believe that data imports are inherently
suspect, and that the only way to have reliable copyright provenance
is to go there and take a GPS waypoint.
   o There are a variety of opinions about what copyright protects,
not all of which are likely to be correct (and note that I include
myself in this set).
   o Some largish number of Wikipedia POIs are already in OSM.
   o And that if anything, our geodata should be contributed back into
Wikipedia rather than the direction I originally proposed.

I apologize if I've offended anybody by arguing too hard (specifically
RichardF, Rob Reid, and Iván).  I *do* believe that some of the
copyright assertions made by suppliers of aerial imagery go well
beyond anything enforcible in a court of law, but absent a legal
opinion in enough legal systems to make everyone comfortable, it's not
reasonable to claim fair use for digitizing points.

On May 7, 2009, at 3:25 AM, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> any legal process against OpenStreetMap would put the entire
> project at risk.

No, not innocent infringement for reasons I've explained earlier.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson