On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Chris Browet<c...@semperpax.com> wrote:
> How good the intent, I'm not convinced by the means...
Agreed, it is a bit of "hardsell".

What we need to do is show them what we can do with the data.  In the
Philippines, the best case would be how to load them in their
GPS-enabled phones.  Here's what a Gmapmaker contributor said when he
stumbled upon OSM-PH Garmin GPS map.

" I recently searched a whole hog over the internet on how to get a
GPS map of the Philippines that works on Microsoft Windows Mobile. I
stumbled and downloaded your file, and knowing Garmin Mobile XT is
installable for Windows Mobile I was able to see your work done. Bravo
to all!!!

.... the best way I can help is editing open street map, and hoping I
can get updates on your data in the future.

I contributed a number of places to Google Mapmaker, but this would
not be useful as they export user edits to their Google Maps Software,
before we can use their data on the road, we need to pay for an
unlimited mobile internet on the road to update data of Google Maps
Mobile.

Seeing your efforts I will be repeating my work from Google Mapmaker
to Open Street Map and keep you posted when my jobs are done. For now,
I will edit Bulacan. ""

--
cheers,
maning