On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:53:53 +1000, Roy Wallace wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM, David Paleino<d.pale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'd like to start discussion on the deprecation of the Tag:highway=stop in
> > favour of using stop=yes/both/-1.
>
> First impression: the value of the tag is extremely ambiguous, and in
> no way self-explanatory. I don't like it at all.

It has the same values as oneway=*. If you use Key:oneway, you know how to use
Key:stop.

> > The first usage is putting highway=stop in the node where ways intersect:
> > this is not right, since that intersection represents (more-or-less) the
> > center of the junction, and I've never seen a stop sign in the middle of a
> > junction ;-)
>
> I don't see a problem with this. As far as I'm concerned, highway=stop
> does not represent a particular stop *sign*, but rather the effect of
> the stop sign - i.e. the fact that vehicles must stop before
> proceeding through the intersecting node.

Aren't we tagging what we see in the real world? I'm of the opposite opinion,
we tag stop *signs* (horizontal or vertical signs), and we're trying to relate
those signs to the junction they have effect on.

> [..]
> Overall, I admire the attempt to avoid having a use a relation - but
> to convince me, the meaning of the tag must be self-explanatory.

Read above :-)

> How about stop=at_last_node, stop=at_first_node and
> stop=at_first_and_last_node? More verbose, but a lot clearer than
> yes/-1/both.

That can be done too. More concise:

  stop=first (-1)
  stop=last  (yes)
  stop=both  (both)

> Also, I would remove the references to stop "signs" - replace with
> references to the requirement to stop - this is, after all, the
> characteristic of the way that is being tagged, not the fact that
> there is a sign near the way.

ACK.

> In Australia, for example, I believe a stop "line" (solid white line) has the
> same legal effect as a stop "sign".

That's in Italy too.

Kindly,
David