On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM, David Paleino<d.pale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The first usage is putting highway=stop in the node where ways intersect: this
> is not right, since that intersection represents (more-or-less) the center of
> the junction, and I've never seen a stop sign in the middle of a junction ;-)

They are countries where intersections have a stop sign to all ways.
The sign is maybe not in the middle of the junction but the rule
applies for all ways and I would say tagging the intersection node in
this particular case is correct. It's not because you didn't see one
of them to say it is incorrect usage.

> Imagine we have Foo Road intersecting Bar Avenue -- and Foo Road has stops on
> both sides of the junction, on separate nodes. This is what routing softwares
> (I believe) will say:
>
>  "Go straight on Foo Road, then stop, continue on Foo Road, then pass the
>  junction with Bar Avenue, go on Foo Road, stop, continue on Foo Road"
>
> This is obviously wrong.

In your case, it's more a bug in the software that is not able to
interpret the topology of the intersection. If the stop nodes are very
closed to the intersection, it's easy to find out on which
intersection the rule applies. In special cases or complex
intersections, I would rather create a relation as it is already
proposed on the wiki.

Pieren