On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:46:50PM +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> I think the first question mostly was the cyclists wanting cycleway
> and the non-cyclists wanting footway. Both ways are perfectly valid,
> and I can't see either being picked without flipping a coin.

Perhaps my perspective is very Dutch, as here in NL you are always
allowed to walk on a cycleway. When a pedestrian sees a cycleway on
the map she'll know that she can walk on it and use it as a footpath.
However, when a cyclist sees a footpath on the map, he'll assume he
won't be allowed to cycle there.

The standard mapping in NL boils down to:

    - Only pedestrians allowed => highway=pedestrian
    - Also cyclists allowed => highway=cycleway

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
--
Sybren Stüvel