2009/9/22 Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com>:
> US Routes.  (the "US" is invisible on modern signs, but often spoken
> as "Take US-23 south to Marion Ohio" or "Take Hugh-Ass
> Twanny-thraaaaay sah-owth tah Marion Ohio.")
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_shield

Only half of Ohio is hicks and from what I'm told they migrated from
Kentucky :) *ducks*

> I've been operating under the presumption that incremental
> improvements of shield branding across North America would be a good
> thing.  So if initially all county roads show a default county shield
> until the custom, local county shield is included, I think that is an
> improvement over the generic UK shield.  Thus a tag that supports the
> beauty of increasingly specific categories leading ultimately to the
> right shield.

> Now everything I know about Australian highways I learned from Mel
> Gibson in _The Road Warrior_ so I have much to learn.  What is the
> shield landscape like in Australia?

There is essentially 2 systems, depending on which state you are in
and how  far they've progressed towards an alphanumeric MABC system.

The major of the country has shields similar to the US, we have NH
(National Highway) shields that just have a number on them for routes
funded by both state and federal governments, we also have NR
(National Routes) state funded, but cross state borders, we also have
S (state highways)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highways_in_Australia

> Relying on polygons for countries / states / counties may encourage
> both proper ref tagging, and including the right shield graphic.
> Having the correct polygon is a benefit however we get folks to
> provide them.

I'm pretty sure this info, at least to some extent, can be extracted
or extrapolated from TIGER data. In any case as long as the
ref/network is tagged sanely it can be a graceful change over, rather
than requiring a bunch of images all at once.

> Some highways have historic or other cultural weight that earns
> special signs that may resist selection by polygon. How do polygons
> help with the special cases like Route 66 and Santa Fe Trail?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Trail
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

Probably similar to our T routes (tourist)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Australian_Tourist_Route_2.svg

> Are there special case shields in Australia that you are able to
> address with boundary polygons and postgres?

We should be able to address all shields in Australia using polygons
and meta information, shields only vary here based on state. Local
governments here don't bother shielding routes they fund.