Dave F. wrote:
>Sent: 24 September 2009 6:36 PM
>Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Field boundaries
>
>Mike Harris wrote:
>> Dave makes a good point - the most important thing for walkers in farmed
>> rural areas is often to know on which side of the hedge / fence they
>ought
>> to be. OS 1:25k is fairly useless for this as the difference between one
>> side of the hedge and the other is usually less than the registration
>error
>> between the OS overlays for public rights of way and the base map! Larger
>> scale OS does not afaik show public rights of way as such - just 'paths'
>and
>> 'tracks'. So OSM can offer something here.
>>
>> I will try to record fence / hedge stubs more often - especially when I
>note
>> that they do not agree with OS mapping!
>>
>> Mike Harris
>>

>I've always been disappointed with the quality of the OD 1:25k. These
>are now all digitally stored yet the printed versions look like they've
>been drawn with swan quills.
>
>I've never understood why they used thicker linestyles to represent
>paths than the 1:50k's . It just blocks out detail underneath it.

Many a time I have descended from the fells using OS 1:25k and compass only
to find the bearing was wrong because the footpath on the OS map has been
poorly drawn. And this situation is unlikely to change because the OS has no
surveying capacity to update this aspect of their mapping and it's not
something that can always be reliably adjusted from aerial photography.

You will generally find that the older 1:25k maps are better than current
day ones. Although the old maps don't have public rights of way they do show
many of the footpaths that later became public rights of way. On the old
maps they are drawn more finely so its much easier to see where they were
originally surveyed [1]. May help in some cases work out where a path goes
when its not clear on the ground although the best way to address that issue
is by asking the landowner. They normally now precisely and are probably a
better source of info than the local authority.

Having said that there are still paths on the old maps that appear to be
drawn on a boundary rather than to one side of it.

[1] for an example see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/images/a/a9/Portland_snip001.png (bottom half
of image)

Cheers