Hi,

Sebastian Hohmann wrote:
> I kind of miss the choise of "No, but I consider all my data PD".
> Because even though any PD data could be also made ODbL, there is no
> sense in declaring it PD if it's not collected and published as PD.
> Unless there is a mechanisim in OSM to e.g. "Download only PD data" or a
> seperate project that collects PD data (which is also put into
> ODbL-OSM), I don't really see a sense in saying "My data is PD", since
> it will not make any difference to "My data is ODbL". Or am I wrong?

The PD choice has little legal relevance.

I campaigned for the inclusion of the PD choice because, as a basis for
future licensing discussions and also questions of interpretation, I
want to know where the community stands. SteveC & others tirelessly
claim that there is a share-alike consensus in OSM and I don't believe
that, and I want the issue put to rest one way or the other.

If we find that 80% of OSMers actually are pro PD then this will not
change the license one bit, but it might perhaps help reduce some
share-alike zealotry and we might interpret some things in a more
relaxed way (and ODbL leaves plenty of room for interpretation,
concerning the big questions of what is substantial, what is a produced
work, and what is a derived database).

If, on the other hand, we find that 80% of OSMers would not release
their data PD but prefer a share-alike license, then we would perhaps
interpret the same questions with a more rigorous share-alike drift.

Bye
Frederik