On Dec 8, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> SteveC schreef:
>> So I can't license data because it's factual?
>
> You cannot /copyright/ the data because it is factual. A license for
> what you couldn't /copyright/ in the first place is not an analogy of
> GPL vs BSD.

Why not? It's incredibly similar. You're on the BSD side, morally. I'm on the
GPL side.

>> Anyway, back on planet Earth, there are lots of people who do want
>> OSM to be virally licensed. You guys reiterating the great BSDvGPL
>> holy war with pseudo legal arguments isn't going to change that.
>
> The amount of people wanting to go PD with their data is probably the
> inverse to the amount of people to want to keep viral.

Sigh. Based on what? Based on that crappy poll? You have to be kidding. The
universe doesn't only consist only of PD people on this list you know. There's
a ton of people who are pro-SA and they tend to be the more rational ones who
can't be bothered with yet another dumb poll or to comment back whenever
someone brings up some pseudo-legal argument based on their 'university of
life' education.

> So try to win the
> battles you can win, otherwise maybe the best way forward is to ask the
> users if /any fork/ could continue with PD/CC0.

I would love to watch a PD fork slowly die. Please start one.

Yours &c.

Steve